Tuesday, June 28, 2016

"3 Vases" - Painting from real flowers

I wanted to paint flowers again but I didn't want to paint from a photo, another painting or a video.  So I went to Kroger and bought their least expensive bouquet of fresh flowers.  I think it was only $5.00.  I looked around my house and found a set of three vases for them.  I love multi-colored things.  So when I saw this trio of vases several years ago, I immediately bought them.  I arranged the flowers in the vases, set them on a little table and took some photographs.
I liked the dark purple flowers and the daisy/mum flowers.  I didn't like the white flowers.  So I decided not to include them in the painting.  The first step was to block out the painting.  I have no idea if that's what other artists call this step, but it's what I do.  For this painting, I determined where the table and the background would be.  I cut out a shape for the vases and traced around it with chalk.  I knew there was no way I'd get three vases the same general shape and size by drawing them free-hand.
After looking at it, though, I didn't like the blue background.  I changed it to a peach color.

I liked the peachy background and decided to keep it.  Later, I would second-guess that decision.  I did some shading and highlighting and then started adding flowers.

What I found is that the yellow flowers did not show up well against the peach-colored background.  I wasn't willing to re-do the background, though, since there were so many flower petals that I'd have to work around.  So I used deeper yellows and oranges for shading to make the daisies show up a little more clearly.  Below is the final painting.  I entered this painting into a competition - a very small competition.  I had to be out of town because my mother was sick.  So a friend entered it for me - the Williamson County FCE Cultural Arts Day competition.  I think there were only maybe 3 or 4 entries - maybe not even that many.  I don't know for sure since I wasn't there.  This painting was entered into the decorative painting category, and it won second place!  Maybe there were only two paintings!  :-)
"Three Vases"
(acrylic on canvas, June 2016)
This is my first completely original painting, and I'm quite pleased with it.  I know it's not fine art and I will probably look at it in years to come, cringe,  and think it is completely amateurish.  However, I AM an amateur, and I really like this painting, and I'm proud of it because I think it shows how very far I've come in less than two months of painting.  Two months ago I would never have imagined I could paint something even half that detailed.  I plan on hanging "3 Vases" in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...