First I blocked in the basic shapes and started putting in basic colors (local color).
Below is with everything (shapes/colors) blocked in.
This next photo is after I started working on their faces a little and adding a little shading. If I can get their faces right, I'm fairly confident I can do the rest of the painting. So far, so good.
Another step in the process.
I didn't like the white around them - so back to the drawing board for the background.
Then I decided to put the sidewalk back in, along with more fine-tuning their feet, arms, and faces.
And here is the final version.
I like it - I really do.
Here's the poem to go with it:
Lily and Sophie - Two sisters running
Together in dress - Together in stride
Lily and Sophie - Two sisters loving
In step with each other – and side by side