Sunday, January 14, 2018

An Abstract - Learning to Stop

Last night (1-13-2018) I wanted to paint an abstract.  I wanted it to have curved lines and shading so that it would look painted rather than paint slapped on a canvas with no rhyme or reason.  I've seen so many abstracts that have no point of interest.  The artist might have had a plan, but it didn't translate to the viewer. 

I started off with curved lines.


Then I filled in spaces with different colors.  Once that was done, I started "fracturing" lines - both with the paintbrush and with a palette knife.  So - so.  I wasn't thrilled, but it was okay.



Then I did some slashes of color.  For some reason the shape on the left -blue with the red center, reminded me of "lady parts," and the shape to the right -the red with orange below it and green below that, looked like a hamburger to me.  So I wanted to change it enough because once I saw those shapes, that was all I could see.




I started the long strokes -which I didn't particularly like.



Finally, I put in some hooks and called it a night.  This will either go in my burn pile, or I will paint over it.  Totally forgettable.  All it says to me is to think through color choices a little more. Up until the final couple of stages, I was enjoying it, but then it became a matter of changing parts I didn't like, and it became something I didn't like at all.  Now it kinda reminds me of a crab - with those jointed legs going off towards the left.  What a mess!



No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...