Friday, January 19, 2018

An art workshop at Owl's Hill Nature Center

Today my sister Beth and I participated in a painting workshop at Owl's Hill Nature Center.  It's every Friday for six weeks, and the artist/instructor is Rachael McCampbell.  Rachael is really good.  Beth and I talked about the class after we left, and we both feel that we learned a lot today.  We worked on color mixing, and with Rachael's demonstration and explanation, I understand more about warm and cool colors.  We did an exercise using a palette knife - which was fun.  Then we started on our own paintings.

I chose to paint from a photo I took in Maine in September 2016 of the Monhegan Island Lighthouse.   Here is the photo:



I used vine charcoal to sketch the basic shapes.  I just realized that I didn't take a photo of that step in the process.  Rachael suggested that since the photo has an uninteresting background that perhaps I could use artistic license and paint in a sunset background.  Why not?  So I toned the background with an orange-red color.  I will go back in and add clouds and sky.  The orange-red tone should give the sky a really cool sunset look.  Here is what the painting looks like at this point - with just the main shapes and colors blocked in.



I will let it dry a little overnight.  I’m babysitting my two youngest grandgirls early tomorrow morning until mid-afternoon; so I won’t be able to work on it again until tomorrow night.  I’m pleased with the progress so far. 

(1/20/2018). I worked on this a little more tonight.  There is still lots more to do but I like it so far.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...