Saturday, January 20, 2018

Painting and Granddaughters

A few weeks ago, Evey (7-years old) and one of her friends were playing.  Evey was telling her about her grandmother.  The friend asked if she was talking about her Grandmother Kat (Meleah's mom), and Evey replied, "No, I'm talking about my dad's mom - Grandma Carol - the artist!"  That totally makes me laugh - with surprise and happiness.  My granddaughters consider me an artist!  Who would've thought that would ever happen?!

That fact was emphasized this past week when on Thursday my son, Joey, came over to get his four-wheeler out of our barn to take on a trip.  He brought 4-year old Mary Bradley with him.  As soon as Bradley walked in, she asked, "Grandma Carol, can we go upstairs to your studio and paint?"  Once Joey confirmed that he and Bradley would be here for about an hour since they were waiting for Meleah and Evey to finish with Evey's gymnastics lesson, I told Bradley of course - we had plenty of time to paint.

So we went upstairs and that child painted THREE canvases in the time we had together.  She looks so cute with her painter's apron on!


And she was very intent on her artistic endeavors!



One funny story while Bradley was there. She was working on her painting, and I was at my easel working on the painting of Joey when he was a little boy.  I worked for awhile and then muttered to myself, "I need to leave it alone - just leave it alone."  Bradley immediately said, "You're going to leave Mr. Joey alone?  Poor Joey Johnston - you're going to leave him alone!'  She is hilarious with such a funny sense of humor.

I promised I would wire her canvases so they could hang them on the wall at her house.  However, now I’m looking at them and I don’t know which side is the top of each one.  Lesson learned - pay closer attention to what she’s painting while she’s painting it!   Maybe I should even mark the top each time before she leaves.  



Then on Friday, my sister Beth and I met Lily (16 years old) and Sophie Grace (18 years old) for lunch.  Sophie (14 years old) unfortunately had other plans and couldn't meet us for lunch, but she texted me, "So I do have plans tomorrow around that time but, Grandma Carol, if you still want to see me u could possibly pick me up at like 4 or so and we can go to ur house and paint."   OF COURSE I wanted to see her.  She IS my green-eyed buddy, after all.  Plus she shares my love of art. So after a wonderfully delightful lunch with her two older sisters, I picked up Sophie and we came back to my house.

Sophie said she wanted to paint an angel, and she found an Angela Anderson tutorial that she liked.  Here is the tutorial painting:



And here is Sophie at the easel (the same one Bradley sat at the day before).  She worked on her angel until it was time for me to take her home.



She got a good start on her angel, and probably would've stayed long enough to finish it except they had dinner reservations; so no extra time that night.   We will set up a date soon for her to come over to finish.  Great start, though!



It makes me so very happy that at least three of my five grandgirls enjoy painting with me.  Neither Sophie Grace nor Lily seem much interested. Sophie Grace is all about her horse - spending her spare time at the barn where her horse is boarded.    I think part of Lily's reluctance is because of the neuropathy in her hands from the chemo she's had.  Fine motor skills are a struggle, and so she sticks with the skills that she can handle more easily.   However, Sophie, Evey and Bradley love coming over and arting with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...