Tuesday, January 16, 2018

More drawing - Flowers for Mom

When my son was a little boy, he was always picking flowers for me. It's one of my tenderest memories of motherhood.  For one Mother's Day, Ron bought me a figurine of a little boy looking up at his mother with a bouquet of flowers in his hands.  I'm looking at that figurine right now - on the shelf across from my recliner here in our great room.  Just looking at the figurine makes me smile with all the sweet memories of flowers - little dandelions in a muddy fist, stinky marigolds, wild daisies, Queen Anne's lace - and roses.  Whenever Joey saw flowers, he wanted to pick some for me.  And I always put them in a vase with water on the table so we could all admire them. 



I took a photo of Joey holding a bouquet of roses he'd picked for me - long ago when we lived in Matthews, N.C., and Joey was a little boy.  It was probably around 1982.  I had a rose garden at the time, and he had picked a bouquet of multi-colored roses for me.  Maybe that's where my love for multi-color rose bouquets came from.  My least favorite roses are a bouquet of red roses.  They're just so . . . ordinary. No imagination or knowledge of what I like is necessary for a bouquet of red roses.  Blah.  A bouquet of yellow roses is better. I've always loved yellow roses.  However, a bouquet of multi-colored roses is best of all.

Here is the photo of Joey with the rose bouquet for me.  It's black and white - but you can see that the roses are different colors.  I love his little chubby cheeks, and his fingers wrapped around the rose stems.



Last night I started sketching from that photograph, and here are the results of that effort.  The last one is okay - it is clearly a little boy with a bouquet of flowers.  However, it isn't Joey, in particular.  I need to study the photo more closely to see what unique shadows and highlights I can add to make my drawing clearly Joey.  I want to paint this soon.  I want it very impressionistic - with the background faded and blurry - with the focus being that precious face with the roses.

Here's the first attempt.  The head isn't bowed down looking at the roses. 


So I tried a second time.  This one is better, but still I don't have his eyes looking down at the roses.


My third attempt - I have him looking down.  The head is a little disproportionate, but it's not an altogether awful drawing.  But what can I do to make it clearly Joey - and not just a random little boy?


So that will be my goal - to really study the photograph, and to keep sketching until I get it figured out.  And yes, drawing DEFINITELY is a helpful step for pre-painting.  If I can get the face right, the rest will be fairly simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...