Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Under Daddy's Wing - Under God's Wing

Yesterday I was thinking about what I want to paint, and one clear idea that came to me was to paint "Under Daddy's Wing."

As a child - long before seatbelts were in cars - we children would crowd into the car with Mama and Daddy.  There were two treasured spots to travel.  One was on the back window ledge - lying down and looking up at the sky through the curved back window.  The favorite, though, was next to Daddy in the front seat.  He'd keep his elbow bent and tell us we were riding "under Daddy's wing."  It felt very safe and close and tender.

I wrote that story and it was published long ago in The Tennessean newspaper - probably in the late 1980s.  I think it might have been published in Ideals magazine, too, although, I'm really not sure about that.  I need to go out to the barn and go through all the old boxes of records.  Somewhere I have a binder with copies of all the magazine and newspaper articles I had published back then.

So I want to paint "Under Daddy's Wings."  As I think about it, I know that I want it to be either very impressionistic or abstract.  I don't want a person under a set of wings.  That's too literal.  I want it to be a curved, sheltering space with something protected within.  I'm still thinking it through.  "Under Daddy's Wings" is really a metaphor for God's protection and love.

I started out trying to draw some figures - with the idea of having feathers creating a protective circle around and above it.  These are just some preliminary ideas to see what will work and what won't work.



Then I thought perhaps I should have a kneeling figure.  Ummmmm - not sure about that yet.  The figure below on the left is a possibility. 



I still have a lot to think about.  I'm already thinking through what I want to include in the poem to go with this upcoming painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...