Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Value Study

Yesterday, Beth and I attended an art class at On-Track Studios taught by Pam Padgett.  It was an all-day (9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.) class.  I enjoyed it.  It's a four week class every Monday in January - with a second 4-week series in February.  I've signed up for both series.  Beth has signed up for the first one.  Yesterday we worked on a value study.  Pam had a large still life set up, and we were to choose one small section of the still life to paint.  We were then to take a photograph of that small section, edit the photo so that it would show only the part we intended to paint.  Then we were to draw the still life with charcoal.  And then finally paint using only white and raw umber colors.

Below is my value study - the "flowers" are cotton bolls.  I'm not real pleased with this, and I may re-do it.  Once I got to the cotton bolls, I veered so far away from the original photograph and just started putting in random bolls of cotton. I have no idea why I stopped looking at the reference photo and just started painting bolls of cotton.  It defeated the purpose of "painting what I see."   I need to go back to the photograph and make my painting more like the photograph.  I think I'd like to do it in color, too, although there really isn't much color in that part of the still life.  The large bowl has a dark blue design on it, which is really pretty.

Oil on 11x14 gessoboard


No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...