Wednesday, June 29, 2016

"Dirt Road Barn" - my second country scene

After finishing "Mountain Barn," I was eager to try another barn.  I DO like country barns! For this one I googled "painting of a barn" and looked at probably 100+ paintings of barns.  I had decided after doing the rooster and rose earlier that I did not want to copy anyone else's painting.  I would look at other paintings to get help but I would make the painting my own.

However, this painting ended up being too much like another painting I found.  I made some changes, and of course my painting is nowhere near as good as the one I used for inspiration.  Still, I wouldn't enter this one in any competition since the general scene is taken from someone else's painting.  I copied the shape of the barn, the way the road curves around and behind the barn, the fence and a building in the field behind the barn.  This first photo shows the barn after I got the basics blocked in.


I added the fence, a house in the background, some clouds, and some grass in the middle of the road.  In the painting I was looking at, there were blue flowers in the left foreground.  I wanted queen Anne's lace, but the white just didn't look right.  So I changed them to yellow flowers.


Then I got carried away and added more yellow flowers - and they didn't look realistic at all.  However, if I painted over them, it would make the painting look worse from all the dried paint shapes underneath the top paint.

Plus, all the flowers were facing in the same direction.  I was not happy with the painting.  I really liked the barn, the road and the fence - although the barn leans to the right!  Good lesson in getting basic shapes blocked in correctly to begin with!  I changed the barn doors to metal gates - which I really like.  The flowers need to be changed, but I think I'd have to re-do the entire painting to make that change.  So I declared the painting done.  I will probably do this painting again on a different canvas - using oil paints next tine instead of acrylics.  All in all, I like "Dirt Road Barn" - I just see lots of changes that I need to make.
"Dirt Road Barn" - June 2016
(Acrylic paint on canvas)

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...