Friday, April 21, 2017

Sunflowers Have Stumped Me!

I love sunflowers, and would love to paint them beautifully.  I've tried them several times with varying degrees of success.  Mostly I have NOT been pleased with the results.  So yesterday I decided to try a single stem - one flower and try get some depth and texture to it.  Below is the result.  It is better than some other tries - but I'm still not happy with it.  I imagine I will put this back on the easel tonight or tomorrow and add more shading and highlighting.  If repetition is the secret to improving, then I will eventually be able to paint sunflowers that I like.  I will keep working on it.  If I work on it further, I will post a photo of it below this photo.

(4/22/2017)  So I DID work on it more last night. I added more leaves and did more shading and highlighting.  I still don't like it - and that's the benefit of doing a small painting - I can try different things, and if I don't like the results, it's no big deal.  
"Sunflower," Oil on canvas panel, 5 x 7




No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...