Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Painting with my Sister, Beth

My sister, Beth is visiting from Georgia, and we have been doing some painting.  I will let her share her own paintings - and I will share what I've worked on.

I looked at the paintings that I had begun but hadn't finished, and I found one that I had just blocked it, but I didn't like it; so I had set it aside and it had been in my unfinished pile for a month or two.  Since I wasn't inspired to start anything new, I thought I would just mess around with that one.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a photo of it before I started.  As I worked on it, slowly I became more excited about it.  I worked on the background, then the pot, then the flowers, and then the leaves.  Before I knew it, it was beginning to be something I liked.

12 x 12, oil on gessoboard
I really like the texture I get when I use the side of a flat brush to add paint to the canvas.  I've done that on several paintings lately, and the look of it appeals to me.   When I woke up this morning, I went upstairs to work on the painting a little more.  When I had finished last night, I noticed that there were two places that were not covered with paint.  So I went back over that this morning, and then worked on the flowers and leaves a little more, too.

I wanted to paint my goldendoodle, Cabbie.  I looked at her and took a photo of her, and painted the following.  Once I got the basic shape done, I didn't know what to do next.  So I set it aside.

 


Earlier I had wanted to paint our church.  So I got a photo of the church and sketched the following - filling in the base colors.  However, once I got to this point, I wasn't sure what to do next!  I don't want to even try to make a realistic painting of the church; rather, I want to paint an "impression" of it.  Hmmm - I put this aside and will deal with it another time.  And THAT is when I went back to the first painting above and finished that.  I knew what to do to finish that one!

  



No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...