Friday, November 3, 2017

Red Barn on Bailey Road

I was driving down Bailey Road in Leiper’s Fork and saw this barn.  It is out in the country (no traffic), and so I stopped the car, rolled down the window and took some photos.  I used one of the photos to paint this yesterday.  I figure that since I didn't even have to get out of my car to take the photo, that I didn't need to get permission to take it or to paint from it.  I wonder what the protocol is for something like that.  I know you have to get permission to do en plein air painting on someone's property (of course) - but to take a photo from the road . . . I don't know.  I hope it's okay. 






As I looked at my painting, I realize that I HAVE to work on color mixing.  My greens are too yellow. I definitely need more blue in the green.  One of the artists I took several lessons from, Kay Keyes Farrar, mixes her colors before she starts painting.  That might be a good idea.  I tend to mix as I go - and I either don't mix enough and have to keep mixing more, OR I mix so much I have lots leftover at the end.  I've asked Kay and another artist about having a class on mixing colors.  I'm still waiting to hear back.

I went over the painting later and added more viridian based color (blue green).  There’s a glare in the upper left, but I think overall the color is better.  


Bailey Road Barn (Leiper’s Fork, Tennessee)

Along a backwoods road
A barn, red and faded
Lies nestled among the trees
Sunlight filters into the field beyond
Country life in Leiper's Fork

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...