Thursday, January 10, 2019

Winter Mentoring with Kathie Odom

My friend, Sheryl, signed up for Kathie Odom's 3-month winter mentoring program.  However, Sheryl had already planned to be out of town for all of January.  So I am taking the three sessions in January, and Sheryl will do the ones in February and March.  The sticking point is that Kathie lives in Knoxville, and that's where the mentoring sessions are held - at Kathie's home/studio.  Knoxville is a 3+ hour drive from Nashville.

So I drove to Knoxville yesterday (Wednesday), and all today was the mentoring session.  As soon as it was over (5:00 today), I drove back to Franklin.  It was a lot of driving - and I stayed in a hotel by myself last night, which was actually rather enjoyable.

The mentoring session today was wonderful.  Of all the artists I've met the past year or two, Kathie is the one whose work is most like what I aspire to for myself.  I love her use of colors and the general "look" of her art.  So I listened carefully today and did my best to emulate her work.

First we chose the photo use as our reference for today's work.  Here it is:


Not a great photo of the photo - it wasn't as bluish/hazy as this photo.  Then we had to sketch it in our sketch books and then do an underwash on our canvases and then sketch out the big shapes.  Here is my panel with the greenish underwash on the bottom and a purpley underwash on the top.


Then we worked on filling in big shapes with the correct values.  Still no color beyond the brownish one.


Then we began filling in color.  I got sidetracked with getting the far back hill on the right the right color.  I finally got it a decent blue/gray - but it took several tries.  Below is where I was at the end of the day:


And below is Kathie's painting at the end of the day:


I will finish my painting tomorrow and will post it here. I will also try to paint another similar painting from my own photographs in order to practice the things I learned today.

I'm looking forward to the next two weeks of mentoring sessions. Very worthwhile so far!

1/11/2019 - Here’s my finished painting






No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...