Friday, November 3, 2017

Mediocre and Bad Paintings - What to do with them?

I've been painting for about a year and a half now, and I have quite a large collection of mediocre and bad paintings.  However, although I don't want anyone to look at them, I really don't want to get rid of them either.

Last spring I burned some bad paintings that I had begun but stopped because they were awful from the get-go.  Probably all artists do that: begin a painting and don't feel it from the beginning.  It is similar to when I have an idea to write about, and yet when I start putting the words on paper (or, rather, typing the words into the word processing program on the computer) the idea just doesn't pan out. I realize my interest was in something not deep enough to expand on - or not really interesting once I got further into it.  With painting, I start with an idea and then realize that the thought and work needed to complete the painting don't match up with what I intended.  So I stop - and only rarely come back to it later. 

What I've learned is that I can't really get into painting something just for the sake of painting it.  My subject has to mean something to me.  Some of my paintings don't really mean anything to me - they're just something I decided to paint for some reason. And I didn't paint them very well either.  Yet, I can't burn them.  I wonder what other artists do?

Last winter I signed up for a couple of online art classes. The class paintings are good practice, but there's no personal connection to the paintings from those classes because they're someone else's paintings that I'm merely trying to copy.  I found Dreama Tolle Perry really good for learning techniques.  However, I'm not crazy about the paintings I did.  For me, the lifeblood of painting is from my own experiences. 

My current plan is to stack my so-so paintings standing up in a box and just save them.  LOL!  Basically, I am deciding to make my kids deal with them after I'm dead and gone.  I have no doubt they won't have my hesitation to toss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...