Saturday, February 9, 2019

Hillsboro United Methodist Church in Leiper’s Fork, TN


I have always wanted to paint WELL our little church in Leiper’s Fork. Two years ago I started painting it, and I ended up with the painting below.  I like the general look of it except the perspective is off - the part of the church on the left looks like is swinging forward towards the front rather than being straight along the side.  I hung this painting prominently in my studio as a good lesson to always get the perspective right in my paintings.


So this past week, I decided to paint the church again.  This time I used a 10x10 canvas panel.  My thinking was that I'd paint it quick and small and try not to stress over details.  Below is the result:


So the perspective is right.  It's a little "looser" than the first try. Still, though, I am not proud of it. I ran out of room at the top; so it doesn't show the little spire at the top of the steeple. Looking at it now, I realize that in the first painting I added front porch posts that aren't there. I even looked at it yesterday when we went to church, and there aren't posts on the front porch. I like the look of them in that first painting - LOL! but they are imaginary. Still, I like the painting a little - especially if I stand away from it and can't see the details.  LOL! I free-hand sketched it - and although the proportions aren't exact, they're pretty good for a free-hand drawing. I used a different photograph for this painting, although the perspective is just about identical to the first. The sun shadows are different.

I will try painting the church again in another year or two and see if then I will finally get a painting of the church that I'm really proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...