Monday, August 12, 2019

Wildflowers and Rock Wall - Again

I can't seem to stay away from painting the wildflowers above the rock wall at the entrance to our property.  However, it's good practice for me to keep painting the same subject - and I DO love those wildflowers!

So, first, I blocked in the basic shapes. Ron looked at it at this point, and thought the rock wall was the driveway, and it didn't make much sense to him. I had to explain that the darker gray strip would be the rock wall and the lighter gray strip was our street, and then it made sense to him.


The photo below is where I left it tonight before I came downstairs to go to bed. It is getting close to 1:00 a.m.; I got started and didn't want to stop! I am certain I will work on it more tomorrow, and so I will update this post then. It is satisfying that I am FINALLY getting a little better with trees. I still have a ways to go, but I'm painting mostly big shapes now rather than trying to paint individual leaves. And since the wildflowers aren't close-up, I can get by with little splotches of color for them. It's the close-up flowers that give me fits.

Oil on 12x24 linen panel
Update - 8/13/2019
I finished the painting this morning, and below is the final version. I added more shadows and filled out and lightened the near trees.  I'm pleased with it.
"Carl Road Wildflowers" -  oil on 12x24 linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...