Wednesday, June 29, 2016

"MC", "CJ" or "Carol" - decisions, decisions, decisions

One of the fun things about painting is completing a painting and signing it!  It was at this point that I realized I had to make a decision.  Would I sign my paintings "cj" for Carol Johnston - the name I generally use, "mc" for Mary Carol which is my given name.  Or would I simply sign them "carol." I nixed "carol" immediately because there are millions of Carols in the world.  I wanted something that was at least a little unique.  I looked online, and there IS another artist named Mary Carol - but she puts an "e" on Carol (Carole).  So if I used Mary Carol, it would still be unique as far as the art world goes.

For a few days I thought "cj" was the route I'd go - and I signed all my paintings "cj."  It's simple, and it's what I use in my everyday life.

But then I reconsidered, painted over all the "cj's" and wrote "mc" again.

I reconsidered yet again, repainted over the mc's and wrote "cj" again.  I was making this MUCH more complicated than it needed to be.  Perhaps I had such a difficult time making the decision because it would be something that would identify all my art from this point forward - whether I end up with ten paintings or ten hundred paintings.  Once I made a firm decision, that would be it - no more changes.

In the end, I decided that "mc" would be my signature.  It's the constant in my life.  I've had several different last names - but the Mary Carol has remained the same.  Although I've given my mother a hard time about calling me by my middle name (which causes issues with drivers licenses and school roll calls, etc.), I've always liked my name.  I think it's pretty.

So, once again, I need to paint over a couple of cj's on and put mc instead.  Since I have only a few paintings so far, that should be fairly easy.  It's matching the colors that makes it somewhat of a challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...