Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My 5th Painting - Hydrangeas!

After painting the 3 pots of flowers, the rooster, the rose and the vase of jonquils (see previous post), I saw a lovely painting of some hydrangeas.  I LOVE hydrangeas, and I decided to paint some.  I designed my own vase, and used the painting I'd found to see what a hydrangea should look like.  Here's the first attempt:


It was awful!  The vase was too tall and too thin, and the flowers looked like they were stacked on top of each other.  So I started over - changed the vase and made fewer flowers.  The following photos show the progression from blocking out the blooms and chalking in the shape of the vase to the final painting:


Painting #5 - "Hydrangeas in Vase"
(Acrylic paint on canvas.  Completed May 2016)

I'm finished with this painting.  I'm not pleased with the flowers because the individual blooms are not shown.  It looks more like giant colored cotton balls.  However, I DO like the general look of the painting.  Although the blooms are not individualized, they're recognizable as hydrangeas. 

Again, I had looked at a photo to see specifically what a hydrangea looked like.  Real flowers, I decided - that's what I needed, and that's what I did next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...