Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Catching Up!

After many months "off" of blogging, I'm back at it.  I have many reasons for letting things slide since I started this blog almost a year ago.  The major one is a bummer, to put it mildly.  My sweet granddaughter, Lily, relapsed with leukemia last fall - after over 5 years of being off treatment from the first go round.  There was such a minuscule chance of relapse happening after that long off treatment - but still, it happened.  She will go through over two years of treatment.  I hate that her childhood and now teen years have been so affected by cancer.  However, as we all learn, there are things we cannot control.  I would take the cancer for her if I only could.  I can't, though, and so all I can do is be there for her and for my other granddaughters and for my children.

And while I have certainly painted since then, I just haven't had the heart to write much about it.  So I will do some catching up here about projects I've done in the past few month.  I've taken some art classes and had some art lessons.  I've painted a good bit - trying new techniques and styles.

What got me back to blogging was reading and thinking about daily painting - painting small sizes, with limited content - and daily.  Alla prima - completed in one session.  By not investing a lot of time and effort into each painting, the artist is able to do more experimentation, and thus learns what works and what doesn't work much more quickly.  I will grow into my "style" of painting more quickly as well.  I read recently that an artist must paint regularly for at least three years before even beginning to discover his/her own unique style.  If that is true, then I'd best get busy!

One of my favorite paintings so far is a small painting of a Carolina Wren.  I have it hanging in my newly designed upstairs art studio.
"Carolina Wren" - oil on 5 x 7 canvas panel,  February 2017
It's on a small 5 x 7 canvas panel.  I like the background of this painting - the bright colors make me happy.  He a chubby little wren - peering out at the world with new eyes and planning his adventures.  I like it!  This little Carolina Wren is the first painting I'm willing to sell.  It's original, and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...