Sunday, July 17, 2016

Revisiting how to sign my artwork

As of right now, I have an "MC" on each of the paintings I've finished.  However, the more I look at the paintings, the more I think that maybe I'll switch to "Mary Carol."  The "MC" looks a little chopped off and incomplete.  I don't want the "Johnston" part of my name to be on my art because it isn't mine.  It's just the result of a cultural expectation.  Although the "Shaw" part of my name was mine at birth, it is not uniquely mine either.  "Mary Carol" is the only part of my name that is truly "me."  I feel a little silly, at the age of 66, to still be going round and round with my name. But it is what it is.  So my signature will be "Mary Carol" with a long curved line leading up to the "M" and a long curved line after the "L".  The beginning and ending curved lines will give it some symmetry - and a little flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...