Saturday, July 2, 2016

Dirt Road Barn - Take 2


I spent a couple hours re-doing "Dirt Road Barn" tonight in oils.  I changed the painting to make it my own.  The new painting has a barn and a dirt road in it, but, except for that, it's nothing like the painting I first looked at and tried to imitate.   After tonight's experience, I find that I think I might like acrylic painting better than oil painting.

I blocked out the new version of "Dirt Road Barn."  I put the barn on the opposite side of the page and gave the dirt road a new path.  So I guess, really, it is no longer "Dirt Road Barn."  I blocked it out like I did with acrylics, and I'm afraid that might be the wrong way to do it.  I painted a solid gray barn with a solid red roof, solid yellow/brown road, solid green grass, and solid blue sky.  No shading, highlighting, low lighting done yet - just the basic shapes.  I have no idea if I'll be able to add the shading, etc. and make it look right.

I did NOT do it the way the video series did it.  The woman who did the series did a dark sketching on the canvas, and her paintings ended up being more impressionistic.  I'm more of a realistic artist.  I simply don't have the "eye" to do impressionistic or abstract art.

I guess tomorrow after church I will see if I can add shading, highlighting and low lighting and give it depth, shape and distance with oil paints.  I should've taken a photo before I came downstairs.  I will take one tomorrow before I do anything else to it - and then I'll remember to take regular photos as I work on it.  I like to see the progression of my painting.

I drew the barn on a sheet of graph paper, then cut it out, held it up to the canvas and traced around it with a neutral shade of paint.  Once I had the basic shape, I was able to fill in the lines for the roof, etc.

I'm feeling a little discouraged right now.  I will be sad if tomorrow turns out to be a bust as far as making the painting look the way I want it to.

I have one main concern about using oil paints - and that's the toxicity of the materials.  I have to wear latex gloves since the chemicals in the paints and solvents can be damaging.  One of the materials even had a "possibly associated with cancer" warning on it.  One good thing about acrylic paints is that it's all water soluble and no cancer-associated substances in it.  With oil paints, you have to be concerned with ventilation.  In one of the videos yesterday, there was even a warning about spontaneous combustion - and how some artists have burned down their homes and/or studios with the chemicals catching on fire. Sigh.  Don't have those issues with acrylic paints.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...