Saturday, July 2, 2016

Oil Painting - Plein Air Painting - watching two entire series of lessons in one day

When I had my first art lesson (I've only had two), the teacher, Kay, mentioned plein air painting.  I had never heard of it.  I asked what it meant.  It simply means painting outdoors - taking your paint, easel and brushes outside to paint scenes from whatever you find outside.  I guess it's usually something in nature, but it could also be city or small town scenes.   Kay had a magazine she showed me that was titled "Plein Air."  Being the absolute obsessive personality that I am, as soon as I got home, I looked it up.  I placed a 2-year subscription to the magazine that included use of the magazine's website which is paintoutside.com.

The website has a series of introductory video lessons.  The first series is an introduction to oil painting.  The second series is a introduction to plein air painting.  I've watched every video in both series.  HOURS of instruction, information and demonstration.  And it has helped.  I understand now what it means to "tone" the canvas before painting.  I know that I need to purchase some refined linseed oil.  Other than that, I've got what I need to paint - and the linseed oil isn't an immediate necessity.

I understand better how oil painting is different from acrylic paint.  I will have to start over with my painting of the girls sitting on the rock in Alaska.  I thought it was funny that the video instructor, Laurel Daniel, kept mentioning how squinting is so important to plein air painting.  My family teases me every year at Christmas because I like to squint at the Christmas tree so that I can see just the colors of the lights.  In the past (before pre-lit trees), it helped me see if the light strands were evenly distributed.  Now I squint at the Christmas tree because I just like the way the tree looks when I squint at it.

In plein air painting, squinting helps the artist see VALUE.  That's another big word in painting that I didn't understand  until I watched the videos.  It's all about light and dark - which is ultimately what art is all about.  Light and dark is how we show distance and shape and depth.

So it isn't quite 9:00 p.m. tonight, and I think I'll go up to my studio and do an oil painting.  Maybe I'll re-do the "Dirt Road Barn" painting.  I like the overall look of it, but since I had done it in acrylics, I couldn't make the changes that I needed to make.  So if I do it over in oils, I can make it more "mine" and also make the improvements I want to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...