Thursday, December 21, 2017

Future projects

My next project - once I get all the Christmas gifts wrapped and the food prepared for the various Christmas celebrations this week - is to paint Lily and Sophie in Alaska. It would be a combination of a couple photographs - Lily and Sophie sitting on some rocks, inner arms around each other, and outer arms thrown up into the air, with the bay and snow capped Alaskan mountains behind them. I've attempted it several times - and have the paintings to prove it.  However, I don't like any of them.  I am going to try something new - painting it alla prima, all in one sitting.  Instead of agonizing over every little shape and shadow - just paint it.  That is the number one painting I want to have hanging on my walls.  Here are the two photographs that I have tried to merge into a painting.  Basically I want to paint the second photograph but with the girls' arms up in the air. 



Plus, I've promised Sophie I would paint something just for her.  I painted "Lily's Angel" for Lily, and I will paint Mickey for Sophie Grace.  Mickey is her horse.  So I've been trying to come up with something meaningful for Sophie.

I've put a Maine plein air workshop on Monhegan Island as one of my "Christmas wishes."  I'm hoping that will be one of my gifts on Christmas Monday.  Our trip to Maine in 2016 was such a fun trip, and I think it would be wonderful to spend a week on Monhegan Island painting en plein air.  I love taking workshops because I learn so much with each one, and they inspire me to paint more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...