Thursday, March 1, 2018

Day 1 - Sea Island Painting

I met Mary O. this morning. She picked me up st 9:00 a.m. and we were off for a day of painting. We first drove a little ways into a park where there were some beautiful oak trees next to the water with Spanish moss hanging down from the branches. We decided a tree with the water and marsh behind it would be a good composition.

Here is Mary O starting her demo. 


Here is the scene - the one large tree with heavy moss especially to its left.  


About this time I toned my canvas and started painting my own rendition of the scene. I will finish it hopefully on Saturday before heading home on Sunday. Here is my UNFINISHED rendition of the scene.


I need to work on that Spanish Moss! We left to go to St. Simon’s Island Village for lunch. On the way we drove through Epworth By The Sea - a place I’ve heard about my entire life! It’s a United Methodist retreat and conference center. I had to take some photos. 


I love this little white chapel at Epworth By The Sea. 


And then I saw this intersection. My father talked about Arthur J. Moore all the time. And Margaret Pitts lived in Waverly Hall. Ron knew her. What a cool thing to see! 

So lunch was in this bar where their team affiliation was very clear  I took this photo send to Lily and Sophie who are major Georgia fans.  

Then we went out on the St Simons pier and I took these photos. It was really too windy to paint though. So we gave up after about an hour. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...