Thursday, August 1, 2019

County Fair Art Results - TWO Blue Ribbons!

Our Williamson County Fair hasn't officially opened yet. It opens tomorrow evening (Friday, 8/2/2019). The past few days have been when all the entries in the competitive events have been due. Tuesday I took in my art entries for the judged art show - three oil paintings and two fused glass items - along with my entry for "country eggs" (Agriculture division) and "food mix in a jar" (Canning division)  Today was the day to enter all the Culinary Arts items - cookies, candy, cakes, pies, breads. I spent most of yesterday and this morning cooking and preparing items for the culinary competitions.

Around lunchtime, I packed up my ELEVEN food submissions and took them to the Ag-Expo center to enter them in their various classes. Once I was finished with that, I walked down to the arena floor to see if the ribbons for the art items had been posted yet, and they had. The first thing I saw was my "Let's do the Twist" painting with no ribbon. Sigh. Then I turned the corner and saw this:



My "He Planted Wildflowers for Me" painting won first place in the Amateur Painting class. I was so excited I didn't even think about checking to see if the fused glass items I'd submitted had won anything. I went to my car where I sent texts to my husband and children telling them about the ribbon. Then I started for home but stopped by a restaurant to grab some lunch first.

Suddenly, I thought of my fused glass submissions, and I knew that if they'd already judged the paintings class, then they'd already judged the Amateur "Other Fine Art" class. So I drove back to the Ag-Expo Center, and went back to the arena floor and found this:



My "slumped" 3-fuses vase won a blue ribbon!  I won a blue ribbon in both classes that I entered!  I am happy.  It's nice to get the compliments of family and friends, but it is also rewarding to get positive feedback from objective sources, too.

Tomorrow night the fair will officially open, and I will go and see if any of my Culinary Arts entries won ribbons.

I should have taken photos of all the food items because I go way overboard! For the Candy Division, I made butter pecan fudge and caramels. For the Cookie Division, I made Honey Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Cookies, Triple Chocolate Brownies, and Almond Spice Cookies. For the Pie Division, I made a pecan pie and a peach cobbler. For the Cake Division, I made a fresh apple cake with caramel drizzle. For the Bread Division, I made garlic/herb biscuits and blueberry orange muffins. Each item was for a different class within its division. 

And tomorrow I will also see how the eggs and the food-mix-in-a-jar that I submitted on Tuesday did. Like I said - I go overboard - but I enjoy it - and I like supporting the local fair; the more entries, the better the competition. And there is something very charming, healthy, and American about a county fair.

2 comments:

  1. I love you last two sentences in this post. There is just something about a local fair - the sense of community - the comparing and contrasting of people's interests. There IS something very charming, healthy and basically American about a county fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already congratulated you on FB, so I didn't include that in this comment, but it seemed weird after I posted the comment, so, for posterity on the internet, CONGRATULATIONS!

    You inspire me as an artist. I love your "shoot for the moon" persona in all aspects of your life; it inspires this more retiring personality of mine.

    ReplyDelete

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...