Saturday, August 10, 2019

Flowers - The Scourge of my Art

Today I started working on a painting of hydrangeas and crepe myrtle in a tall vase. However, I changed it to all hydrangeas. The painting is based on a photo I took of the flowers Joey brought to Larisa's for my birthday party last week.  He had picked the flowers from his yard.

I was determined to really LOOK at the photo and paint it true to the colors. The white hydrangeas had a green undertone.  However, in the photograph below, they look gray rather than greenish. However, they don't really look like white hydrangeas.
"Birthday Bouquet" oil on 12x16 linen panel, August 2019
Tomorrow I will go back to landscapes. I'm just not good with flowers.  Now the wildflowers paintings I've done have been okay because the flowers are at a distance, and so there is no detail needed. However, close up flowers are another matter. I'm sure I will do some more fine-tuning of this painting before I put it away permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...