Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Two new paintings - green angel and white hydrangea

Two new paintings finished - one yesterday and one today.  I'm not particularly happy with either one. 

First the hydrangea.  I tried to follow a Nancy Medina video as closely as possible. Even with following a video to do it, it doesn't look very good. I think I will give up on flowers for awhile. I don't know why they stump me so. I want to be able to paint them well - but so far I don't feel I've done a good job at all.  This hydrangea is one of my least favorite paintings. However I DID learn something about how the darker underpainting with transparent colors make the lighter opaque colors really pop.  I had done the painting yesterday and disliked it so much, I scraped the paint off and started over today.   

 


Now the green angel:   I LOVE the green background - the colors and the textures.  The wings and dress are done with "Brilliant Yellow" rather than white, and I like the softening it gives them. However I see some clumps that I didn't even notice yesterday when I painted it.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...