Monday, October 16, 2017

Leiper’s Fork Church

I have wanted to paint our little church in Leiper's Fork for a long time.  I started this months ago, and then felt overwhelmed at the idea of finishing it.  So I set it aside.  For months.

Now, I’m done.  The painting is really prettier in real life - as opposed to a photo of it.  I may keep this one - frame it and put it on the wall.  I’m not sure about the left part of the church.  I need to do more work on that part. However I’ve scraped and repainted and scraped and repainted that part so many times, it is just slick mud right now. The angle on that part isn't right - it makes it looks like it's facing forward rather than to the side.  I've looked and looked at the reference photo, and I still can't quite figure it out - other than starting over since the entire angle is wrong.  I like the clouds that I did.  For some reason they were easy this time.  Next time they might be difficult again, but I did the sky in just a few minutes.

I'd like to paint this on a different canvas or panel and make it more impressionistic.  I DO get bogged down with details.

So this one will stay as it is now.  I will paint it again someday, though.  I want a painting of our church that I'm proud of.



"Hillsboro United Methodist Church" (Leiper's Fork, TN)
Oil on 11x14 Canvas Panel

No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...