Monday, February 12, 2018

In Mother’s Arms

Back in 1975, Larisa was a baby, and Ron took this photo of me holding her on the porch at our house on Indiana Avenue in Atlanta.  Today I decided to paint that photo. Here is the original photo:



Below is the painting after getting the main values blocked in.  In this painting, I used only two colors:  burnt umber and titanium white. I set up 6 different values of burnt umber and white on my palette.  I wanted the painting to have a sepia look since it's a 43-year old photo.



This is how I left the painting for tonight.  There are still more tweaks to be done - mostly on Larisa's face and head.  I'm going to take it to art class on Friday to see what suggestions Rachael can give me. 



I really love it - mostly because I remember that photo being taken, and because I love that sweet baby so much - even though she's a mother now of her own two children.  I will definitely be working on a poem to go with this painting.

(Later) I've been working on the poem and have tentatively finished one.  I'm considering going in another direction with the poem - making it more personal to Larisa and me.  However, here's what I have for now:

 In Mother’s Arms

In Mother’s arms - Held close, held dear
In Mother’s arms - There is no fear. 

In Mother’s eyes - Beauty profound
In Mother’s eyes - Grace unbound

In Mother’s heart – love beating strong
In Mother’s heart - where you belong

~Mary Carol Shaw Johnston~



No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...