Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Eclipse Sunset

Back on August 21, 2017, there was a total solar eclipse, and we are fortunate enough to live in its path.  We packed a picnic lunch and put folding chairs in the car and drove out to the Nashville Gun Club to watch the eclipse.  We would've watched it from our home, but in Franklin, it wasn't a total eclipse, and so the 40 minute drive to the Gun Club was worth it to us.

The club was closed that day, and so we mostly had the place to ourselves.  We parked the car at a pavilion right beside the Cumberland River, set up our chairs, put on our eclipse glasses and looked up.  I did not expect it to be a big deal.  I figured it would be cool to see it, but nothing spectacular.  I was wrong.

As the eclipse reached the "total" part, I took the photo (below) of the river. It was early afternoon on a sunny day - and yet it looked like sunset.



I knew I wanted to paint that photo.  So tonight I started working on it.  The colors aren't right yet - it's too orange.  I cropped the photo for my painting so that the river is at the bottom of the painting, and the sky is 2/3 of the painting.  That puts a LOT more of the pink/orange into the painting.  Also the clouds in the photo did not translate into the painting very well, and so I broke them up a little bit.  I still have work to do on this.  I really want to get the colors just right.



I started working on the poem to go with this one.  It is close to being finished.

The Eclipse Sunset

A picnic lunch and folding chairs
Set out in the middle of the day
Beside the Cumberland River
A solar eclipse was on the way.

Side by side we watched the show
Wearing glasses to protect our eyes
Talking, laughing, enjoying the day 
Staying focused on the skies

At last, the moment arrived
The moon totally blocked the sun
The sky mimicked a sunset
The corona in the heavens shone

Stillness and awe overcame us
As we watched the celestial display
“The heavens declare the glory of God”
Those words came to life that day


~Mary Carol Shaw Johnston~



No comments:

Post a Comment

NOAPS 2021 Associate Member Online Exhibition

I'm happy to say that my painting, "Bear Creek Road Reflections" was chosen to be in the 2021 NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic ...